I’m Penny, a freelance copywriter with a background in science communication and environmental behaviour change. I work with business, social enterprise and organisations that want to change our world – for the better, of course!
What does that mean for you?
My background means I’m skilled at:
- Turning jargon and complex ideas into words that connect with a broad audience. Good for those businesses that need to explain tricky stuff to their customers.
- Listening deeply and asking great questions that get to the heart of the issue.
- Working with diverse audiences and organisations.
- Crafting clear communication tailored to your audience, format and outcomes.
- Research – from SEO to strategy to industry trends.
My mission is to build a bridge between you and your people, so you can turn them into customers, clients and supporters.
You must have the right words to achieve this. That’s where I come in.
I’ve spent years building my craft. My training covers copywriting, content writing, messaging, SEO, storytelling, blogging, business writing, editing, fiction writing, journaling, grant writing. And so on.
To sum up: I’m a lifelong writer and I take my craft seriously.
I’ve been fortunate enough to work and train with some big names in environmental behaviour change, such as:
- Community Based Social Marketing – Dr. Doug McKenzie-Mohr
- Thematic Interpretation/Behaviour Change, Introduction, Advanced and Train the Trainer – Professor Sam Ham
- ‘Speakout’ community engagement – Dr. Wendy Sarkissian
- Collective Social Learning – Professor Valerie Brown
- IAP2 Certificate in Public Participation – Vivien Twyford, Twyfords
- Climate Reality Training – Al Gore
I spent many years working in local government, natural resource management and community groups. I have a strong interest in climate action, regenerative agriculture, renewables and ethical food and business.
I’ve been part of/co-facilitated workshops that include:
- IBM Smarter Cities Workshop
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Resilient Cities
- Cyclone Yasi Recovery
- Smart Green Buildings
- Rowes Bay Centre Transformation
- Josh Burn Sustainable House Workshop
- Disaster Resilience – Rockefeller Application
- Townsville City Council Energy Management
- Solar City Time Machine
I’ve also worked in water conservation, eco-tourism and community development (seniors, disability and arts).
Does this mean I ONLY work in these fields? Not at all.
My skills are useful in any business setting.
But it does mean that I have a head start in these areas.
I’m into horticulture, permaculture, gardening and all things green and growing.
My husband built a wooden boat and our family spent ten years exploring the Great Barrier Reef in it.
I grew up in Malaysia, African and England. I cook a mean laksa (with homegrown ingredients, of course!)
I’ve been an editor, grant writer, wine writer and an award-winning fiction writer.
And I’ve always been, and still am, a volunteer with a range of community groups.
let’s talk about your project
Book a free call or shoot me an email.